Mutual Exchange

What is a mutual exchange?

As a Scottish Secure Tenant you have the right to exchange your property with someone else who is also a secure tenant of any other social UK landlord. This means that you both swap properties on a permanent basis if it would improve both parties current living circumstances.

We will not unreasonably withhold permission for your exchange to go ahead, but there are some reasons for refusal which are set out by law.    

How to I find an Exchange?

Calvay Housing tenants can register with HomeSwapper, which is the largest national mutual exchange service.   

As Calvay is not a Partnering Organisation with HomeSwapper you will be required to pay a charge to fully use the HomeSwapper site. Tenant Registrants can register and use parts of the service for free but will be asked to pay before enabling contact (through the HomeSwapper messaging facility) with other tenant registrants wishing to swap homes or before their home advert is made available to other tenants. 

Tenant Charges are structured as: 

  • 3 months - £12.00
  • 6 months - £16.00 
  • 12 months - £24.00

Once your details are verified you will be able to advertise your property and search for a property that meets your needs. HomeSwapper will also search for suitable matches for you and will notify you of any that are found. It may also be worthwhile looking for suitable swaps by talking to friends and family or looking at local adverts in shops, newspapers or libraries. You will be responsible for arranging to view any properties you are interested in.   

We also have a mutual exchange book in the office where you can advertise your property.

I have found a match, what happens next?

You and your exchange partner will each need to complete a mutual exchange application form. Return these to our office.  You will also need to complete application forms for any other landlords involved.

Your Property Services Officer will then assess both applications and inform you of their decision.

We will:

  • Inspect your current home and let you know if you need to carry out any repairs or alterations before the exchange takes place.
  • Complete a reference on your behalf for the other landlord.
  • Visit your exchange partner and ensure we are satisfied with their reference.

If the exchange is approved we will agree an appointment with you to sign new tenancy agreements for the new property.

If you move before permission is given or after permission has been refused you will be expected to stay in your original home.